Sunday, May 17, 2015

How to make your own condensed milk


 If you buy (and eat) as much condensed milk as I do, you start thinking of ways to cut out the middleman. Luckily I did not have to think too hard, because my mother had the idea first and penned a recipe for her own condensed milk in our family cookbook. Bless her soul! 

Making your own will not only cost you 1/3 of the price of a store-bought tin, but it will also save you in those moments when you open the cupboard and (horror!) someone has beaten you to that tin. Because is there anything worse than planning a recipe only to realize you're missing that crucial ingredient?! 
Thank goodness making your own uses just 5 ingredients (3 if you're in a serious pinch). 


Did I mention how easy it is? It's embarrassingly easy. 
So easy I almost considered not even posting it at all. Almost. 

If you bake a lot of fudge (who doesn't?!) then it will save you a stack of money and you don't even have to use castor sugar - just blend up the normal granulated white sugar until it's fine and use that. All you're looking for is a finer texture so that it dissolves quickly so icing sugar will do the trick as well. 

Now I know I don't need to tell you that I have a STACK of recipes using condensed milk so I've included the links below the recipe because once you've made your own, you'll want to use it in a gajillion things, that's if you're left with any! 


Homemade Condensed Milk
Makes 400g (equivalent to 1 tin)


1 ¼ cups (310ml) powdered milk
¾ cup (180ml) castor sugar
60g butter, softened
1/3 cup (80ml) boiling water
A drop of vanilla essence (optional)

Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, thick and the sugar and milk powder are dissolved. 
Pour into a jar and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.

Almost forgot, here's a video of me making the condensed milk too ->


RECIPES WITH CONDENSED MILK:

No comments:

Post a Comment